I just came across a YouTube video of Will Smith, where he was described as "One of the most successful people on the planet".
It made me think- I mean I like Will Smith, I've been watching him since Prince of Bel Air, and I love his more recent work too. I also deeply admire his positive mindset, and how he embraces and acknowledges being a role model in our society. And he uses that mindfully & for the benefit of others. But is he really one of the most successful people on the planet? I question this because I think that most people would consider him successful because millions of people know him & are entertained by him, or because he's earned millions of dollars- hundreds of millions even.
But WHAT is success? I'm aware of plenty of movie stars that, although they have fame & glory I would not consider successful in life at all. They are deeply unhappy, and disturbed, they are lost and confused. Is this success?
Not for me, for me success is waking up in the morning & wanting to be alive (I've had mornings where I didn't-where I was filled with dread & fear).
Success for me is....
- Catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror & smiling, because I'm happy to be alive
- Doing my yoga, even when I don't feel like it, because it makes my body feel good & my mind focused & energised.
- Appreciating being able to swim in the warm tropical sea (At least while I'm in Koh Lanta!)
- Being grateful for the friends I have around me
- Enjoying laughing with my friends
- Supporting people who are passionate & committing to creating a life of their dreams
- Singing because I feel like singing
- Crying because I feel like crying
- Being able to listen, truly listen with all my heart, to those around me.
- Being able to forgive myself for the big & little things
- Learning from each experience I have in life & building on my successes- no matter how small.
- Being able to enjoy a beautiful clip on YouTube
- Connecting with like minded people around the globe
From what little I know of Will Smith, (the bits he chooses the public to see) by my values he seems somewhat successful- he appears to be happy, deeply loves his family, and understands that life can give you whatever you want- if you put the effort in to get it.
In what ways are you successful in your life?
Please share with us in the comments below, I'd love to hear the different ways we're all successful :)